Wednesday, December 1, 2010

File It Under, "Girl, That's Something White Women Do!"


Recently I have been having the urge to go on a one woman getaway.  I can recall a few months back, a married friend of mine revealed to me the exact same thing, and asked me if I thought it was selfish.  My response to her was, "Hell yes!  And furthermore, girl, that's something white women do."

So why then, months later, has this idea popped into my head as if it were my own.  Taking real time to pontificate this phenomenon, I have come to realize that the everyday stress of being a career woman and devoted sisterfriendfamilygirlwonderwoman has really worn me down.  Faced with my frayed nerves, and absolutely no sign of a reduction in the tasks/issues that burden me, a solo vacation appears to be as attractive as Morris Chestnut in  The Best Man



I am the type of woman that never thought I would vacation alone.  I hate eating by myself in public, I abhor working out alone at the gym, and going to the club or bar by oneself is simply not to be done (well, at least in my book).  I looked at women who embarked on solo excursions as eccentrics, freaks of nature given to bouts of isolationism.  But I now realize that I could not have been more wrong.

Women have a tendency to over-challenge themselves and an unshakable desire to be Superwoman.  In the end, we end up frazzled with wrinkles, which we were not predisposed, by our genetics, to have.  That being said, I now realize that it is okay to take off on a solo woman vacay, even if we are not the fair skinned stars of movies with inane titles like "Eat Pray Love."  Solo vacations are probably why white women are so happy all of the damn time anyway!

So, ladies, it is time to work on eradicating the overpopulated species, known as "The Angry Black Woman," most commonly found in their natural habitat, the Dominican hair salon.   I know that I will be donating to the cause, and I have faith that we can meet this goal.  Never forget that through prayer, all things are possible:

Please, Baby Jesus, I just want to relax on a beach with a frozen Miami Vice and a really good Diane McKinney-Whetstone novel!  (Okay, okay - And a really cute guy staring at me from the tiki bar.)

No comments:

Post a Comment